Join our dynamic and fun team and be a controller in the Toronto FIR. This page highlights the steps to become a VATSIM controller in Toronto.
Are you an individual looking to join an energetic, high paced, yet still friendly controlling environment? Then you have come to the right place!
At CZYZ we train hard in order to provide you with the best experience as an Air Traffic Controller and to ensure our pilots get the high level of Air Traffic Control they have come to expect. If you’re up for an exciting and challenging career as a virtual Air Traffic Controller, join CZYZ today!
CURRENT EXPECTED WAIT TIME TO ENTER TRAINING AT CZYZ: AT LEAST 8 MONTHS
Step 1: Join VATSIM
- If you are currently not a member of VATSIM then you can sign up for an account at the VATSIM Registration Page. Ensure that you read all of the pages and instructions carefully.
- Under the preferred region field select the North America region.
- After you complete your registration you receive an ID and password from VATSIM via email. When you have these two items, continue to step two.
Step 2: Join VATCAN
- You will need to first join the VATCAN region if you have not or skipped some steps from Step 1, click the following link to set your region: https://cert.vatsim.net/vatsimnet/regch.php.
- You will now get your choice to select a region and division to join. To join VATCAN select North America as your region.
- In the select a division drop down box, select Canada
- Press Continue to set your selection
Step 3: Join Toronto
After registering an account on VATCAN, you will have to request the CZYZ FIR.
- Login into VATCAN, vatcan.ca/login with your VATSIM number and password.
- In the vatcan forums, visit CBT – Academy>Computer Based Training (CBT)
- Complete all three lessons in Training Block 1: Welcome to VATCAN.
- Complete all four lessons in Training Block 2: S1: Clearance Delivery & Ground Training
- Complete your S1 exam by visiting on the vatcan.ca website: My VATCAN>Request Basic ATC Exam. To pass the exam you will need to score 80% or better to get your S1 rating.
- After passing the exam, transfer into the Toronto FIR by selecting My VATCAN from the vatcan.ca menu>Transfer Request.
After completing the three steps above, you will be contacted when an instructor is assigned to you. The instructor will work with you to get your controller rating.
Thank you for your interest, and good luck!
~Toronto FIR Administration